Friday, April 25, 2014

Cornbread on Steroids

Y'all, I found a recipe for something called "easy tamales."

I was trying to be "Guatemalan" for the day...

They were nothing like tamales.

This might have been because I did not have most of the ingredients I needed, but let's just blame the magazine for being wrong.

Or thank them for being wrong because I made the best cornbread of your life.

Also, it is super super super easy.

Reader: Sarah this is not an exciting post. I am really unimpressed with your posts lately. Let's step it up a bit.

Just try this "corn bread" reader and you will not find it boring anymore.

It will change your life.

YOUR LIFE.

Fun fact: We don't have a working oven. We bought a really nice oven here in Guatemala because it was literally the only one that was not manual light. It has not worked for almost a year now. We tried to have someone come and check it to fix it, but all kinds of things went wrong.

(Side Note: I am terrified of blowing myself up with a manual oven.)

I now make all of our food in toaster oven.

Corn Bread on Steroids. Super Easy Recipe
"Cornbread on Steroids."

Prep: 5 minutes (Best part of the entire thing)
Cooking time: 40 minutes (just go have a glass of wine while you wait.)
Calories: Does it really matter?


  • 1 package of cornbread mix (Jiffy for example)
  • 1 can of corn (drained) Size doesn't matter. (so many jokes right now that I am going to ignore)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 cups shredded chicken (I used canned and cooked it a bit on the skillet first)
  • 8oz of shredded cheese
  • Half can of Rotel (drained)
  • Lime oil! Holla! (2 drops) (Or a lime wedge if you are loser and don't love essential oils.)
  • Sour Cream, Avocado, Salsa for garnish

How to make it:

  • Grease pan with pam or olive oil
  • Throw in corn bread mix, eggs, milk, chicken, rotel, cheese, and chicken.
  • Mix it up really well (make sure eggs are evenly dispersed.)
  • Put in toaster oven, or if you are fancy, put in real oven.
  • Cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. 
  • 5 minutes before finished, throw some shredded cheese on top.

THATS IT! BOOM! YOU ARE WELCOME! I KNOW YOU LOVE ME!

Put a dollop of sour cream, some slices of avocado, and some salsa on the side. 

Serve.

Take a bow.

You can send thank you notes to "Middle of Nowhere Guatemala."










No comments:

Post a Comment