Thursday, May 1, 2014

Guilt Free Lemon Cake

I have been wanting to sub lemon oil for lemon juice and lemon zest for a while now, but was too lazy to look up a recipe.

Yea, in general, I am lazy when it comes to cooking.

I don't follow recipes.

I just don't like the step by step unless it is very simple.

I blame my ADD.

Well, we were at our friends house this week (again), and Gina asked me to make this cake.

She specifically asked me to "FOLLOW THE RECIPE."

I think she did this because I screwed up a SUPER easy dessert last week because I didn't measure the ingredients.

She then stood there and watched to make sure that I would follow the recipe.

So, I had to.

Except that I didn't because she is slowly starting to love oils too, and allowed me to try using lemon oil instead of lemon zest and lemon juice.

In general this is a bit of a healthier cake because it is made with plain yogurt. We used Oikos Greek yogurt. With lemon oil, I am calling it guilt free because lemon is a detox.

What goes in, will go out:).

Ok, so it is not really "guilt free."

It is however awesomely delicious.

Here is the recipe...I'm going to make it way easier to follow than the original recipe found on foodnetwork.com by Ina Garten. (Love her!)

This is not an actual picture of my cake, but this is what mine looked like. I just cut into it so fast, I couldn't take a picture.

RECIPE:

For the actual cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 drops lemon oil-instead of 2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cups veggie oil

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons water 4 drops lemon (or more depending out how lemony you want it.)

DO THIS:
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl. Mix.

Combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon oil in another bowl. Mix.

Combine the two bowls (so easy right?). It says slowly mix together, but whatever.

Slowly fold oil into the batter. (This made me super nervous at first because it looked uber mushy. Just be patient and keep folding.)

Grease pan.

Line bottom of pan with wax paper.

Pour cake in.

Bake for 45-50 minutes

While this is cooking, combine powdered sugar and lemon mixture.

Once cake comes out of oven, let cool.

Take out of pan and put it on whatever you want.

Poor glaze over cake.

Don't wait to try it. Cut giant piece off of cake and shove it in your mouth.

Then put another slice on a plate and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Delight in the goodness that God allowed you to taste.

Remember me and my family and say a prayer of thanks along with a prayer that we don't get shot in Guatemala.

Send Thank You note.

Reader: Sarah, this does not sound guilt free at all. 

Details Reader! Details!











No comments:

Post a Comment