I was trying to be "Guatemalan" for the day...
They were nothing like tamales.
This might have been because I did not have most of the ingredients I needed, but let's just blame the magazine for being wrong.
Or thank them for being wrong because I made the best cornbread of your life.
Also, it is super super super easy.
Reader: Sarah this is not an exciting post. I am really unimpressed with your posts lately. Let's step it up a bit.
Just try this "corn bread" reader and you will not find it boring anymore.
It will change your life.
Fun fact: We don't have a working oven. We bought a really nice oven here in Guatemala because it was literally the only one that was not manual light. It has not worked for almost a year now. We tried to have someone come and check it to fix it, but all kinds of things went wrong.
(Side Note: I am terrified of blowing myself up with a manual oven.)
I now make all of our food in toaster oven.
|Corn Bread on Steroids. Super Easy Recipe|
Prep: 5 minutes (Best part of the entire thing)
Cooking time: 40 minutes (just go have a glass of wine while you wait.)
Calories: Does it really matter?
- 1 package of cornbread mix (Jiffy for example)
- 1 can of corn (drained) Size doesn't matter. (so many jokes right now that I am going to ignore)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used canned and cooked it a bit on the skillet first)
- 8oz of shredded cheese
- Half can of Rotel (drained)
- Lime oil! Holla! (2 drops) (Or a lime wedge if you are loser and don't love essential oils.)
- Sour Cream, Avocado, Salsa for garnish
How to make it:
- Grease pan with pam or olive oil
- Throw in corn bread mix, eggs, milk, chicken, rotel, cheese, and chicken.
- Mix it up really well (make sure eggs are evenly dispersed.)
- Put in toaster oven, or if you are fancy, put in real oven.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- 5 minutes before finished, throw some shredded cheese on top.
THATS IT! BOOM! YOU ARE WELCOME! I KNOW YOU LOVE ME!
Put a dollop of sour cream, some slices of avocado, and some salsa on the side.
Take a bow.
You can send thank you notes to "Middle of Nowhere Guatemala."